Friday 19 December 2008

Letters from France - 24th July 1947 - 2

The next morning Arsène again had business visits to make, and I should again have spent the morning shop-gazing contentedly, if I hadn't caught the eye of a man who persistently followed me about for 10 or 15 minutes. I don't mean that I caught his eye with mine - for of course I ignored him as best I could - but that my general appearance must have done. I have never known such a persistent "wolf". All I wanted to do was gaze in the shop windows, but of course every time I stopped he stopped too, and finally came to rest at the same window as me and said "Bonjour Mademoiselle". Of course I said nothing and determinedly crossed the road and thought I had thrown him off. However, a few minutes later he was again walking beside me and making the same sort of remarks that English "pick-ups" make - only of course in French. I was just beginning to wonder desperately if he might be put off by my speaking English to him - tho' I hold it is best to say nothing at all - when he finally became discouraged and left me in peace. But it was the end of enjoyment for me that morning. However, I revived my spirits over lunch, and in the afternoon we visited Notre Dame, another newspaper office, another café, and then the station and home. [You can read another account of my three days in Paris in my main blog here.]

Arsène tells me that I bring him luck - that he never sells as well as he has this week with my company! It's a good thing he doesn't want my help selling brassières or something like that!! Not of course that I should be prepared to give it for such!

Well so much for the main events. It's the little impressions which are so much more difficult to recall. On second sight I would say that possibly there are more smart women than in London. At any rate one sees a lot more of the fashions that are just penetrating to London.

One is liable to pay a fine if one crosses the road otherwise than by the pedestrian crossings. The policemen on point duty blow whistles to stop the traffic besides weilding truncheons. At first I thought there must be no end of road-hogging or smashing and grabbing going on - but no, just traffic regulation.

Apparently it is as difficult to get house painting done as in England.

Masses of post was writing for me when I got home last night, including from you and Jane, for which many thanks. They helped to soften the regrets I felt at leaving Paris.

You certainly have been unfortunate with weather. I think we must go to the sea for a week in September. I don't know how hot it is here, but it is quite as bad as that very hot spell in June. I have bathed again today - also sunbathed.

You did well at Vingt-et-Un. I've never played it for money, which is just as well, because I always lose at cards. Quite a welcome misfortune, when one considers the old addage. ["Lucky at cards, unlucky in love."]

No, my "dent de sagesse" is not giving me any trouble.

I don't plan to go to Antwerp. I shall come back the first week in August - I don't know the exact day yet, but will of course let you know.

Yes, the water is safe - they do drink it, but not much. I am beginning to like beer tho'.

I am afraid I shall not be keeping my pure accent - and anyway, it is hard to know what is good French and what not in their speech. You are hopeful if you think I am able to discuss things like politics already!

I am not sure that I really want to go to Bournemouth. I have had a vaguish invitation, which I think I can consolidate, to spend a weekend by he sea with an old friend from Secretarial College - Southsea I think.

Will you excuse my writing to Jane for me - I still haven't much time for writing besides to you, tho' of course receiving long letters is quite a different thing. Tell her I am a good guesser like Sigrid.

Yes, the official Intermediate results came today. A long screed list all the London University Inter. passes, and of course Birkbeck Higher School Certificate completions were on the very last page, so that by the time I got there I had begun to worry!!

I feel I want to stay here months and months. When I realize that I am only beginning to know London after nearly 2 years there, I wonder how one can hope to see Paris in 3 days, let alone all the rest of France.

25th July -


There is no doubt that Paris is a cleaner more attractive town than London. London seems to have a blacker spirit, too. There are trees along many of the big roads, too. There are in London, too, sometimes, come to think of it, but they don't seem so green. One reason for freshness, is that the roads are sprayed regularly from water carts, to allay the dust.


The main roads in the centre, besides the pavement cafés, have sweet stalls and rifle ranges and so on, which don't close down till towards midnight. Then in the suburbs there are street markets like in Bethnal Green and along the King's Road.


God! it is hot. The moment you put two bits of flesh together (such as crossing your legs) they start to pour with sweat, and when you get up after sitting in a train or bus you feel as if ..... well, you feel darn'd wet! It was 52°C in the sun yesterday. Work it out if you can - I can't!


Well, T.T.F.N. Love to all and sundry. Especially Sundry!


Judith


[52 degrees Celsius would have been 125.6 Fahrenheit. This seems unlikely, though possible perhaps in the sun. My searches on the web tell me that on 24th July 1947, the day after my return from Paris, the temperature in the capital reached a record high of 40.4°C (104.7°F.]

No comments: