Wednesday 17 December 2008

Letters from France - 11th July 1947

chez Mme Durand,
40 rue Pasteur,
Pont-ste-Maxence,
Oise
Dear Folk,

I expect Mummy will be home when you get this - I hope she has had better weather than we are having.

My offer of something towards housekeeping has been refused.

My first film on the Ful-Vue has come out very well. Two of Angus, one of Daddy, one of Mummy asleep on the lawn, with both her thumbs tucked between her fingers!; a cat on a basket at the New Inn, two of the clubs at St. M's, three of Lucette and one of the house here. L. has also taken some nice ones of me - I seem to be cultivating a camera face a bit more now. The only one of mine that didn't do well was Angus falling off the tree on the picnic we went.

I hope the ration books have arrived safely. My love to Jane. And to you.
Judith

14th July -

I held this till I heard from you and then found I had missed the last weekend post. Sorry about that.

By the way, I am cutting my first wisdom tooth!! Top right. I wonder if it will make any difference!

Fortunately when my week in Jacqueline's bed came to an end, another neighbour offered a bed, so I am still on my own, which is a good thing, because it wrecks my sleep to be with someone else. I am sleeping very badly still as it is.

I am certainly not being dreadfully bored - my only difficulty is to keep from getting overtired again. They seem to keep such late hours.

Fay [my aunt] has written saying she hopes I am staying here till August 14th so That I can then join her friend Hoppë, but that is too late I am afraid - Lucette goes on holiday on the 8th. However I think I shall be quite glad to come home then.
It's all very well to keep saying buy clothes, but nearly everything here is rationed. L. says she can give me some points, but I obviously can't take many.

You certainly seem to have had plenty to eat at Portmeirion. Most of the food here I like, except that they eat their meat practically raw, and I just can't cope with it like that. Also they will not believe that I prefer water to wine with my meals. If I ever go to Portmeirion I shall want to choose a season when there are Bohemian people there. I think they're such fun, even if one doesn't want to live with them for ever, and I often think perhaps I would.

We had a very enjoyable picnic yesterday near Chantilly. Eight of us in all: L and her father and me, Jacqueline and her parents, and two boys - one of whom is a cartoonist and quite daft but good amusing company. I am able to join in the conversation much more now, and even contribute a humorous (I hope) remark or two now and again. We saw the Château at Chantilly and the Cathedral at Senlis. The forest of Chantilly is beautiful. Tall slender trees making avenues of all the roads. A lot of it was cut down by the Germans though.

Today is "Le Quatorze Juillet" and there are some "goings on" in Pont, but whether we shall go to the dance or anything I don't know.

Love to all,
Judith

No comments: